TEACHING MINDFULNESS TO CHILDREN TRAINING
SEPTEMBER 20, 2019 - FEBRUARY 9, 2020
APPLICATION DEADLINE EXTENDED TO SEPTEMBER 3, 2019
This six-month intensive training provides educators, therapists, counselors and other youth professionals including parents, with the skills, knowledge and experience necessary to effectively teach mindfulness and compassion techniques to children aged 5-17.
Our unique program has been created and is directed by Heidi Marben, PsyD., a child psychologist who developed and teaches the mindfulness program for lower school students at Trinity School in New York City. She is joined by teachers Rey Horowitz, Kimberly Brown, and Nandini Naik.
Learn to cultivate an environment where children can build resilience and reduce stress, while promoting stronger relationships through better communication, patience, self-compassion and kindness.
Participants begin by establishing their own personal practice, creating a foundation from which they can confidently offer children mindfulness techniques.
This program includes:
Rigorous personal mindfulness instruction and practice, including an exploration of texts and techniques from different traditions and teachers
An understanding of self-compassion and equanimity to prevent teacher burnout and discouragement
Experiential learning and practice of age-appropriate mindfulness techniques
Ways to create a mindful classroom and home environment
Discussion of research on mindfulness and compassion and child development
Detailed instruction and assistance in designing a curriculum relevant to your needs and the needs of your program/situation
A copy of Dr. Marben’s Mindfulness Curriculum for Lower School, which contains teaching guidelines and detailed lesson plans for children
55 hours of class time over six months
Peer group support
Practice Intensive 1: Establishing Your Foundation
Understand how mindfulness and concentration are developed through meditative techniques, learn how mindfulness supports emotional self-regulation, and practice sitting and walking meditation. With Kimberly Brown.
September 20, 7-9pm
September 21, 9-5pm
Practice Intensive 2: Cultivating Self-Compassion
Learn and develop compassion and lovingkindness meditation, discover the contemporary research and understandings of compassion and its impact for self and others, and learn to prevent burn-out and overwhelm. With Kimberly Brown and Nandini Naik.
October 5, 9-5pm
Training Weekend 1: Teaching Mindfulness to Children
Explore the basic principles of teaching mindfulness and children, including the science and research, how to offer introductory lessons to kids 5-12, and the importance of creating a mindful environment. How to create and develop your own mindfulness curriculum. With Dr. Heidi Marben and Rey Horowitz.
November 2 - 10-5pm
November 3 - 10-1pm
Training Weekend 2: Teaching Kids to be Kind
Learn to introduce the concepts of kindness and compassion, how to create a compassionate classroom, and specific techniques and lesson plans to help children of all ages develop lovingkindness and compassion for themselves and others. With Dr. Heidi Marben and Rey Horowitz.
November 23 - 10-5pm
November 24 - 10-1pm
Training Weekend 3: Working with Adolescents and More
Understand the particular challenges and opportunities in offering mindfulness, compassion, and meditation practices to children 12-17, learn about trauma-informed practice, and refine your teaching techniques with experiential exercises. With Rey Horowitz.
January 11, 10-5pm
January 12, 10-1pm
Training Weekend 4: Dealing with Difficulties and Final Presentation
Discussion and suggestions for working with the common hindrances that may arise from children, teachers, and parents. Participants will present their personalized mindfulness curriculum to meet the needs of the children they work with, and peers and teachers will provide encouragement and feedback. With Dr. Heidi Marben and Rey Horowitz.
February 8, 10-5pm
February 9, 10-1pm
Training Weekends will take place at One Circle Wellness Center, 124 E 40th Street, Suite 704, New York, NY 10016
REQUIREMENTS AND REGISTRATION
• Experience working with children is recommended.
• A commitment to establishing a daily mindfulness meditation practice. The foundation for creating a mindful environment for children is your own personal practice.
• Weekly participation with a study group.
• Monthly 1.5 hour peer-led meditation sessions via videoconference
• Attendance at all weekends, monthly meditations, and study group meetings is strongly recommended. If you have concerns about your ability to participate, please email us to discuss.
• Completed application, due by September 3.
• Deposit of $500 upon submitting application to confirm your spot.
• Balance paid by Sept 7.
In order to ensure applicants’ suitability for this program, we may contact and interview an applicant by phone or through other means in order to obtain additional information required to support your application. If an applicant is not accepted at this time, we will refund any payments made.
This program is offered on a sliding fee scale. Please select the appropriate rate to enable IDP to offer this training to as many participants as possible. Scroll below for scholarship opportunities. Space is limited. Please register early to save your seat. No registrations will be accepted after 9/3/19.
• Supported $1800: this is a discounted rate offered for students, public school teachers, and others who have financial need and are unable to pay full tuition
• Full $2250: this is the basic cost of the program, which IDP offers at the lowest cost available so we can offer this program to as many people as possible
• Patron $2500: suggested for those who can pay the full cost of this program, and are able to help support others to participate and share these practices with the world
Payment and Refund Policies
· Upon applying, participants must submit a non-refundable deposit of 50% of the program tuition. The remaining 50% of the program tuition must be received by September 7, 2019.
· Because we can accept only a limited number of applications, we cannot offer refunds.
· Payment plans can be arranged for the Full or Patron Tuition rates only. Contact us if you’re interested in arranging a payment plan.
We offer limited financial aid as available. To be considered for discounted tuition you may apply for a PoC scholarship or a Work-Study position on the application.